Identifying the version in a SV Ad
- First, get the cookie from the retargeting tag (which should be provided by the Primary Owner / CSM)
- Next, load the test page with Fiddler running
- From the fiddler session captured you can see a `json` file being triggered by our tag which we can use to identify the version of the Ad being shown.
- In the end part of the `json`file being fired you can see numbers which is the Version ID you may refer on the screenshot below:
5. Another way is to search the `tp_VersionIDsonAd` in the Ad URL call and it would show you the Version ID please refer on the below screenshot:
In determining the Version ID of the VPAID Smart Versioning Ads then you would need to access the XML URL initiated since there would be no `json` file would be triggered and find for the `vid` under the creative please refer on the screenshot below:
- Ad ID
|Case ref : 00121837 / SR : 81813||
The two most common issue are the SV ad displaying blank, or not showing the correct content.
1. In the instance where the ad is blank the most likely cause is that it’s calling an older XML file that is no longer available. You may see a 404 error on that call in Fiddler, step 2 above.
2. In the instance where content is not correct that means there could be a newer version of the XML that hasn’t populated into the tag yet. The way to check that is take the call and increase the number on the end by one (in the example above you’d change that to ‘_10′). If that returns a 404 then you know the most recent one is being called.
The best way to resolve this is to force an update. In the platform you find the master ad, go to the Smart Version tab, edit one of the text items (doesn’t matter which one), when the edit menu pops up you don’t have to change anything, just click ‘Apply’ and close, then in the edit ad menu the save button should no longer be grayed out so you can click that.
This is pretty much the same as making a change at ad level to force updates to go through, which can be handy and sometimes faster than syncing in ECS.