Important: This is an advanced feature and is for Standard banners only. All other banner types must adhere to our API.
This implementation does not show click interactions in our preview and will FAIL any internal QA from Sizmek and/or media. Only apply this method if you have been specifically instructed by a Sizmek representative. If you have not been advised otherwise, please refer to the traditional method of implementing a click-through with our API. For more information, see REFERENCE: Sizmek HTML5 API.
In this article we will discuss ClickTags. First, we'll define what a ClickTag is. Then, we'll talk about why you might want to use a ClickTag. Finally, we'll show you how it works and how to use it in your ads.
In short, a ClickTag is a click-through URL. In the context of a Sizmek HTML5 ad, it is a shortcut for setting the click-through URL in the platform.
When to Use It?
In order for tracking to be enabled in an ad delivered through the Sizmek platform, the Sizmek HTML5 API must be included in the ad. However, the API scripts ad file weight and, if all you need to track are clicks, might not actually be necessary. With a ClickTag implementation, you can track impressions and clicks without the need of the API overhead.
The other benefit of a ClickTag is the click-through URL can be set in the platform. This allows you to create many copies of the ad and set the click-through directly in the platform, without having to modify any creative assets.
How Does It Work?
When you upload an ad that has a clickTag variable implemented in it, the platform will scan the ad and discover the URL set in clickTag. The platform then uses this URL as the ad's default click-through. This way, you get to skip the step of manually entering click-through URL in platform. Then, during ad delivery time, the ad will override the creative's clickTag setting with the platform's click-through URL setting. Ultimately this enables you to use the same creative assets to generate many ads with different click-through URL settings.
Adding a ClickTag to Your Ad
- Within a <script> tag in your index.html file's <head> section, add a global variable named "clickTag". You can copy the following snippet and add it to your ad.
// Change the value of this string to your URL
var clickTag = "http://sizmek.com";
- Use the clicktag in other places within your ad's code, for example:
- Zip up your ad as a Workspace.
For information on HTML5 Workspaces, see Overview: HTML5 Workspace.
- Upload Workspace to platform.
- Create a new ad, and be sure to choose HTML5 Standard Banner as the format.
- After saving ad, notice that the click-through field was populated for you automatically.
- Now you can create copies of the ad and simply override the click-through URL setting in the copies.