- MDX: Manage > Ads > New > Design New HTML5 Ad > Components
- Sizmek Advertising Suite: Creative > Ads > New Ad > Design HTML5 Ads > Components
The Twitter Feed component is a customizable widget that displays a list of Tweets from a user's timeline or a custom timeline.
The Twitter Feed component in Ad Builder for HTML5 supports adding a Twitter timeline to your ads using one of the following timeline types:
- User Timeline: Displays user Tweets on the timeline using the user name, for example, @sizmek.
- Widget Based Timeline: Displays data feeds based on one of the following widget types:
- Search Timeline: Displays the Twitter feed for a certain hashtag, for example #Zoolander2.
- Likes: Displays only liked Tweets from a user's Twitter feed, based on the user ID.
- List: Displays feeds based on public Twitter lists.
The TwitterFeedClicked custom interaction is initiated when the user clicks the Twitter Feed component on the ad during serving. In addition to the basic ad click tracking, Sizmek captures clicks on the following Twitter Feed elements: Tweet, Follow, Retweet, and Like.
Important: The social feed is updated periodically from the target site either upon ad upload or following a user action (for example, a mouseover or a click). It is recommended to retrieve the updates from the destination site following after a user action to minimize the traffic generated to the site.
Adding a Twitter Feed
- In Ad Builder, select the Twitter Feed component.
- In the Twitter Feed component properties pane, clear the Show On load check box. We recommend triggering Tweet updates only upon user actions and not upon ad load. This prevents Twitter from blocking the updates due to heavy traffic.
- Configure one of the following Twitter timeline feed types:
- Add a user timeline:
- In the Twitter User field, type the user name. For more information, see https://twitter.com/settings/widgets/new/user.
- Add a widget based timeline:
- Create a Twitter widget. For more information, see https://twitter.com/settings/widgets.
- In the Widget ID field, type your widget ID. To retrieve the ID, click the Click Here link. For more information, see https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170071?lang=en#.
- (Optional) Select the Auto-Fetch Feed On load check box, to automatically fetch the feed on ad load instead of on user interaction. This is not recommended as it will increase traffic to Twitter.
Note: By default, auto-fetch feed occurs upon user load. This minimizes user traffic to Twitter and prevents Twitter from blocking the ad.
- In the Select/Upload Placeholder Image area, select a default image to display. This image is displayed until the user interaction triggers the update or in case the feed fails to display.
- (Optional) You can change the look and feel of the Twitter feed. By default, the widget look and feel is configured in Twitter.
- In the Actions and Animations pane, configure an event to trigger the feed update:
- Assign an event to trigger the Twitter Feed action. For example, the Mouse In event.
- Click Add Action, and select Get Feed Data from the Social Actions section. In the following example, when the user mouses over the logo, the Twitter Feed data is updated.
- Select the TwitterFeed as your target social feed.
- Preview the ad to ensure that the data feed is displayed and updated when the user action is activated in the ad.